Tuesday 17 March 2009

Fun Days in Roosevelt, UT

I'm visiting Mike, Michele and their kids (Sophie, Bella, Max & Parker) in Roosevelt, UT right now.

It's lovely that way small town and high desert/mountain places can be.  The feeling of the sun on my face when I walk around reminds me of visits to Grandma and Grandpa in Salt Lake all those years ago.

Here's a random view from my walk yesterday of the sky through some trees.  Everything is still barren here, but the weather has turned nice and it's actually a little warm during the days.  Perfect for walking or riding a bike.

It's good to know that you wear your Wiley X Safety glasses AND look great!  
Well, I just looked Wiley X Safety glasses up, and I have to take back that last statement.  You CAN look good in Safety X glasses! 

Here's the view of the main intersection in town - Highway 191  (or something like that) and Highway 40.  This is a rollicking place!

Down this street is the gym that Michele and Mike belong to.  I'm going down there every day at about 9:30 for a nice hour of exercise with Michele (she and Mike ALSO go at about 6:00 a.m., which is just crazy in my book!)

There's not much of any sort of old western town in Roosevelt.  Apparently there were a few buildings here and there but they apparently have been torn down for improvements like parking lots.  But I did run across this old sign on a wall between some shops.  The shops mentioned are long gone, but this little bit of history is still hanging around.

There is an " Indian Trading Post" in town.  

But it's gone out of business.  That's too bad.  It would have been very cool.

And right next to the now defunct Trading Post is an amazing restaurant.  It has Chinese, Mexican AND American food.  What more could anyone ask for?  I'm not sure if Mike & Michele will take me there, but I'm sure they love it.  :-)

Today we went to Vernal for lunch with Mike - his medical practice takes him there two days.  Here's a place we did NOT eat - but I was tempted to suggest we stop for a Root Beer Float on the way out of town.....I mean, really, what's not to LOVE about a root beer float?

Here's a view of the scenery between Roosevelt and Vernal.  Really stark and beautiful.  I think this is also part of the Ute Reservation.

Last night we went to a Community Play Performance of Bye Bye Birdie.  The music is a little difficult, I think.  I think it would be a very fun show on Broadway.  Apparently there is at least one movie version of it.  But the kids enjoyed the performance immensely and that's a key thing, right?

Finally, and most importantly, I bought a pair of boots!  My old black ones are really great, but after 20 years they're not holding up that well.  So here are the new ones.  Now I just have to start country-western dancing!  (But don't hold your breath for that to happen.....)  HAHA 

More excitement will be coming in the next several days, I'm sure.  Until then......Ciao!

3 comments:

Lynne said...

Wow. Roosevelt & Vernal. I haven't been out there for years. Nice boots!

Aimee Oliver said...

We did "Bye Bye, Birdie" in High School! Ah, the memories!

Andrew said...

Love the boots! Very cowboy chic! Did you get one of those snap button western shirts to go with it?

Also, who knew Wiley X glasses were so hip?