Thursday 17 July 2008

Pictures of the Inside of the Aya Sofya

I took a bunch of photos of the inside of the Aya Sofya.  It's really amazing!  Apparently much of the inside was whitewashed when it was turned into a mosque, but the have been restoring it for many years.  The marble walls are amazing, the mosaics are beautiful (I'll have some of these in the next post) and the sheer size of the place is beyond belief. Hopefully the photos at the end have captured some of the immensity of the space inside.


There are huge medallions with Arabic hanging from the walls.  I WISH i knew what they said.  I suppose if I'd taken  tour I would know, but I just wanted to walk around.  But they are amazing.  you can see that there is still a lot to restore, but you can also see that it's a beautiful place.





Finally, the views of the interior.  I took these from the second level, but the second level must have been the equivalent of the 4th or 5th floor.  You can see in the last photo the height of the first level.  Imagine what it must have been like to attend a service in this place!




No comments: