Thursday 17 July 2008

A Walk Along the Shore in Eminönü

Here are a few photos from the end of my day of wandering around. 

There are men fishing everywhere.  Ferry boats leaving every few minutes to connect the European and Asian sides of the city.  You can Asia in the background of the first photo below.  It's such an amazing and unbelievable city!



In the last post I mentioned how Aya Sofya sits up on top of it's hill and can be seen so clearly from the sea.  Here are two photos of Aya Sofya from the Golden Horn.  The effect is the same from the Marmara side of the city.

In the first photo you can see the little Aya Sofya to the left of the Aya Sofya.  To the left of those two buildings is the Topkapı palace.  Topkapı was the home of the Sultans for hundreds of years, but it's a palace made of pavilions situated in a wooded parkland.  It's completely NOT what we expect in a palace, but it's really beautiful.



Soon after this day I left for the Black Sea region of Turkey to spend a week with Suphi and his family.  I'll post some pictures of that adventure in a while!

1 comment:

Lynne said...

Oh my - I feel like a broken record constantly saying I love all the pictures, but guess what? I LOVE all the pictures!! They are all so fabulous. By the way - Tony posted a note to you a couple posts down. "See you son"! :-)

Lynne