Wednesday 3 December 2008

The Trip to Thailand Final Post - part 1

Since I've been back from Thailand for over ONE MONTH I thought I should get a few final photos out!

One of the days I was there (the sunniest day, actually) I went up to Ayutthaya.

It's the ancient capital of Thailand - it was the capital for something like 400 years.  Then the Burmese came along, captured it, stripped all the gold off of everything, and then burnt it.  What's left are ruins - but UNESCO World Heritage Site ruins, so it's pretty cool.

I think it you can imagine everything below standing straight and tall (everything's leaning this way and that now), covered in gold, and full of people, you will capture what it must have been like.  So here are the first half of the pictures....I'll do the rest later!












The ones I'll publish are sort of more of the same, but different temple complexes.

The trip itself was cool.  I got to the train station, and purchased a Standing Room ticket for the 3rd class.  It cost something like $0.60 - yes, 60 cents!  I stood some of the time, sat some of the time, travelled mainly with Thai people and a few back-packing Europeans.  All very cool.  I walked to the river (Ayutthaya is an island), crossed on a little ferry boat, wandered past all the shops, and the finally hit the ruins.  It was a very cool way to spend the day!

I'd tell you what these specifically are, but my Ayutthaya guide book is packed!  :-)

No comments: