Thursday 21 August 2008

My Hotel in Bodrum - The Butterfly

Well, I'm in Bodrum now.  Bodrum is on the Aegean coast of Turkey almost to the Mediterranean Sea.  In the Greek period it was called Halikarnassos.

I'm staying at a great little hotel called The Butterfly.  The owners are fantastic, the setting is beautiful and the pool is wonderful.  It's amazingly hot here, but it is August, so what else would you expect?

Here are a few shots of the pool and the terrace.  Most of the pictures I took from the door of my room - I walk out right to the pool and terrace.  I had rented a smaller room but they moved me to this room as a welcome present which was very cool.






Here are two pictures of the terrace from the stairs that go down to the street entrance.  Here te sun was setting so everything has a nice golden glow.  These were taken with my phone camera.



So I mentioned that this used to be the city of Halikarnassos.  This city was famous because it was the site of the Mausoleum, one of the 7 Wonders of the ancient world.  Of course, all remains of that are long gone.  There are many signs pointing to the place where it stood, but all that's there is a bit of earth.  Supposedly there is a museum but I've never found it!

There is the old city theater up on the hill overlooking the harbor - that's used for performances still.  And there's a very cool castle of the Knights of St John guarding the harbor.  There's a picture of that in the last blog post.  Anyway, here are two shots of the old city wall.  It's right across the street from my hotel.


Finally, a photo (also form my phone) of Gümbet Bay which is the bay you see from the hotel.  


Yesterday I went to Ephesus, so my next post will be photos from that trip!

No comments: