Wednesday 7 May 2008

Final Post from France

Spence, Aimee and I have ended our historic vacation in Paris!  It was a great trip and an awesome time.  And sadly over far too soon.  

Our last day was fantastic - we went to the Louvre and I saw a few of my favorite pieces/artists (more on that below).  We walked over to the Place des Vosges and sat in the park while the fountains came on and people strolled around and really felt like we were living the Parisian life!  

We ended with a tasty tasty meal at Cafe Hugo which is in the colonnade around the park.  Cafe  Hugo is named after Victor Hugo who lived just around the corner.  There was some VERY delicious pate (duck's liver) that I particularly enjoyed.

Anyway, that morning as Spence and Aimee did some shopping I wandered over the to Mosque of Paris and the Institut du Monde Arab.  However the Institute has moved to a new space (I went there on Tuesday between the time we had to check out and the time my Eurostar train left for London.)  So I just wandered around the empty rooms, peeked into the mosque, and took a few pictures of the tiles.  Very reminiscent of the tile work in Granada.  Here are some pictures.  




At the Louvre we saw the Winged Victory of Samothrace.  This is probably my favorite piece of art in the world.  It's absolutely stunning.  I have a picture of this from the trip our family took to Europe all those years ago (thanks again for that trip, Dad and Mom!)  It was just as amazing this time!


El Greco is probably my favorite painter.  It's amazing to me that he lived in the late 1500's - his work is so modern that it wouldn't be out of place 400 years later!  I saw a fantastic exhibit of his work in London a few years ago.  The Louvre has a few of his paintings - here are two that really caught my eye. 

The Crucifixion

St Louis (king of France)

Finally, here is a painting of the Wedding of Joseph and Mary.  I can't remember the artist, but I like it because if shows Joseph as a young man, not the usual old man that's usually shown.  And I think it shows a Joseph who loves Mary, which is also very nice.  He went through a lot.


A few pictures that I found interesting:

Some stairs up from the walking areas along the Seine.  They are absolutely packed in the evenings - when Spence, Aimee & I took one of the evening cruises there were so many people - sitting, eating, dancing, listening to music.  It's such a cool Parisian way to live!  

There are public fountains all over the city.  Most are larger, but this one is really interesting.

Finally a picture of flowers from the garden of Eugene Delacroix.  It was close to our apartment.  It was a little oasis of greenery in the city - you were far from the hustle and bustle.


I'm back in the UK now with Kelly and Paul.  I'll be here through next Tuesday and then it's off to New Zealand.  I'm looking forward to that adventure.

4 comments:

Lynne said...

B-E-A-U-tiful pictures.

piano35 said...

Great pictures and blog Mark - you have a good eye for photography - you always take good pictures! So fun to hear about your trip. Post again soon, and have a safe trip to the other side of the world! Can't wait for those postings, since I know very little about New Zealand. Love you!

-Jensina

Theresa said...

I agree with Jen, of course, about your talent in photography. You have captured a truly beautiful Paris. Thanks for sharing. ...Theresa

Unknown said...

Hey Mark! You do take fantastic photos! Interesting, non-touristy ones. Dibble is not the only one in our team who is a good photographer! I wish I discovered this blogspot when I went to Japan so that I could have posted my ramblings along with the photos. Oh well, next trip...I look forward to reading your posts on NZ!