Wednesday 28 May 2008

TranzAlpine Day Trip

This is where we were heading on the train.  This was the TranzAlpine; I took the TranzCoastal from Picton to Christchurch.  It was only at the end of that trip that I realized there was an open-air viewing carriage at the back of the train!  I could have taken some cool pictures.  Oh well.....I knew it for this trip, so I took as many as I could.  It got a little cold now and then, but here you go.

Anyway, the first few days down here in Christchurch were a little rainy and cloudy, but yesterday it really cleared up and was beautiful.

Then we saw this up at the pass.

And then we rode right into this!  It was actually cool - it was misty, damp, cold and very amazing.  The conductor every now and then would say something like "there's a beautiful view of the Southern Alps from right here, but not today...." or "there's a spectacular view of the narrows, but it's hidden in the mist....."  But it was still cool!

Once we made it to Arthur's Pass it cleared up and we had some nice views of beautiful countryside.  We ended up at Greymouth (the mouth of the Grey River).  It's a cute town - a little small (11,000 people) but the base for all the nature experiences on the West Coast of NZ.

Then it was back over the Southern Alps.  The views were amazing, and I think they're just even more amazing as you got south.


Anyway, that's it for New Zealand.  I'll be in Istanbul in a few days, so more once I get there.

3 comments:

Lynne said...

I love all the N.Z. pics. I especially like the picture from Hong Kong of the lit buildlings taken from above. That photo is amazing.

piano35 said...

Hi! Wow! Is this the area that Lord of the Rings was filmed? It's simply gorgeous! I love the snow capped peaks peering out behind the dark green hills. How fun!

Hope your trip to Turkey was good! Looking forward to the next post!

-Jen

Aimee Oliver said...

Ok, on a few of those pictures I could just hear the music from "The Lord of the Rings" as they are running to find the halflings!! :) We love hearing where you are and what you are doing!!