Wednesday 2 April 2008

Looking back to 2007 - Athens

Well, I'm sitting in Aylsham relaxing.  It's very nice for me, but it doesn't give me many opportunities to post any interesting travel pictures!  So I decided to post a few pictures from my Europe trip last year.  I'll be in some of the same places this year, but there are a few that I won't return to this time 'round.

So, here are a few of the ones I liked:

Here's a shot of the Acropolis from the Pynx.  (I have no idea how to say that!)  The Athenian Agora is between where I'm standing and the Acropolis, so you can imagine how impressive that must have been when it was built, painted and dazzling in the sunlight!  (Sorry this is a little hazy, but what can you do?)

Acropolis with Parthenon on the right

On the Acropolis there is a interesting temple called the Erechtheum.  This porch is, I think, one of the few places in the ancient world that used statues of women rather than any of the traditional Greek column styles.  They are called the Caryatids.

The approach to the Acropolis was through the Propylaea.

Here are two pictures of the Temple of Hephaestus in the Agora itself.



Finally, this is a statue of the Emperor Hadrian (according to the sign - although it's hard to tell with no head!)

Well, that's it.  Not much I know, but I'll put up a few more things in the next few days.  Bye for now!

2 comments:

Lynne said...

Beautiful pictures - I didn't even know you went to Greece last year! I'm enjoying your personized electronic tour...especially since I have no plans to go to Europe! Keep em coming!

piano35 said...

Great pictures from Athens - for a second there, before I started reading, I was thinking you were there again! Anyway, I don't think I saw any Athens pictures before, so I'm enjoying seeing them now.

Keep posting blogs and photos - It's really fun to read.