Thursday 23 October 2008

Bangkok - the Temples

OK.  This will mainly just be pictures of two temples I visited over the past few days.  I'll try to put in a few notes here and there, but hopefully you'll just enjoy the photos!

This is the Marble Temple



I liked the way the various roof angles and elements looks at particular vantage points.  These are still at the Marble Temple (which you probably could tell because of the all marble!)



Well, there you go.  The rest of the photos are of Wat Pho.  I basically just wandered around the temple grounds and took photos in the order you will see them below!


These small tower-like things are called Chedi.  They are basically built to honor Buddha, and usually (or maybe always) contain some sort of religious relic.  Some of the larger ones contain a relic of the Buddha himself.  At Wat Pho there are quite a few of these smaller ones all over the complex.





Here I'm inside the inner courtyard of the main hall (it's the building on the left side of the photo.)  I'm looking at one of the royal Chedi in the background.  The small tower in the middle is a Khmer-style pagoda - there are four of them in the inner courtyard.  And the roof in the distance on the right is of the pavilion where the Reclining Buddha is.

(I love this photo - it just worked out nicely!  It's my desktop picture right now....)

These are the royal Chedi.  There are four of them, built by Rama I, Rama III (he built two - one for his father, Rama II and one for himself) and Rama IV, or King Mongkut.


The hall in the background in the Main Hall of the complex.


Another photo of the the Royal Chedi.  This is taken from the grounds of a small Chinese-style temple.  I like the dragons at the roof corners - very interesting!


I REALLY like this view!  





That's it!  I can't believe that I've been here for over a week now!  

I highly recommend staying in apartments when traveling.  It really adds to the sense of living somewhere, not just traveling through.  Hotels are nice and all - bed made for you, fresh towels all the time, restaurants and room service.  But in this apartment I feel completely at home.  There is one downside to that, though - I don't feel under lots of pressure to get out and see things!  I just sort of wander around town as if I lived here!  So today I made a list of the things I want to do still to make sure I actually get out and do them!

And on that note, I've got to get going to get a few things done that are one my list.

Hope you enjoy these photos!
 

3 comments:

Lynne said...

I LOVE these pics. Infact, I always love all your pictures. You are my personal virtual travel guide! I especially love the pictures of the roofs! The colors are fantastic. Are you going to get any blown up? Tony's got a flat on the BMW, so I've got to go now and help him get it to the shop -- I'll come back and read your other post in a few minutes...

Mark said...

Hi Lynne! I always loving getting your comments....it's very cool to know that SOMEONE is looking at this blog regularly! :-)

I don't know about blowing up any photos, but I've bookmarked the book publishing site you sent me a while ago. That would be cool.

Andrew said...

Hi Mark! LOTS of us are looking at your blog regularly--even if we don't comment regularly. :-)

I love reading your travel impressions and especially seeing your photos. You've got a great eye. Looks like you're doing a lot and seeing lots of really cool stuff.