Saturday 18 October 2008

A Day of Discoveries

I discovered quite a few things today.  In no particular order here are some of them:
  • Dragonflies swarm around the trees along the river here in Bangkok.  When I was crossing the bridge across the Chao Phraya river they were everywhere!  Very cool to see hundreds of them at once darting here and there...
  • After walking for an HOUR from the apartment to the ferry at the river yesterday (and then back later in the day!) I discovered that the apartment has a shuttle that leaves on the hour for the ferry!  It's a 10 minute ride...what a relief!  While I walked back - apparently it only does the circuit if there's someone who wants it, and I can't call and ask for it since I don't speak any Thai - walking one way isn't a bad thing.  Anyway, this opens all sorts of new possibilities....I can take the shuttle to the ferry, then either the ferry or the walkway across the bridge, and then the SkyTrain to everywhere.  Definitely a relief!  I was a little worried about having to walk or take a taxi every time I wanted to leave here - not that I mind walking, but an hour just to get where I wanted to be, and then a day of walking on top of that was making my feet hurt just thinking about it!
  • A lot of the canals on this side of the river (the Thon Buri side) are really rather revolting!  Hardly any flow so things just stagnate.  On my walk back from the ferry today I didn't feel like walking along what is basically the highway, so I wandered through the back streets.  Totally interesting, and more than a few people stared - this isn't the touristy side of things.  So it was cool.  But at one point I had to either go back quite a way or cross a wide canal on a little cement beam.  I figured if I fell in I would probably die instantly, so I wasn't worried about a long lingering death....but it was REVOLTING!  I think the king needs to come down, see what's happening, and get things straightened out!
  • I discovered lots and lots of little factories on my walk home today.  There were people making machine parts, shoes, clothes....and I could hear other things being made behind closed doors and over walls.  Thailand is definitely a place in transition - still lots of agriculture, but lots and lots of small industries happening.  I think it's the classic development model - I hope Thais can keep in touch with their culture while improving their living standards.  Or perhaps I should say that I hope they can keep healthy and happy while trying to work global capitalism into the mix.  I guess we'll see.....
  • I was reading the new today from the US and discovered that Joe the Plumber of debate fame has some issues - 1) his name isn't Joe (but maybe it's his middle name, so OK), 2) he doesn't have a plumbers license so while maybe he knows how to be a plumber, is he really? (and having a license is a legal requirement where he lives and works), 3) he isn't a member of the plumbers' union (but I suppose you don't HAVE to be a member to be a plumber) and 4) he owes back taxes, so before worrying if an increase in his income will lead to more tax payments (yes, of course, if you make more money you pay more in taxes - why is that so controversial?!) he should pay the ones he currently owes.  All very interesting!
  • Bangkok is a MASSIVE  city!  I mean, I knew it would be big.  But today I took the Sky Train to a big weekend outdoor market (Chatuchak Market).  There are massively tall buildings everywhere as far as you can see.  I think I've grown used to cities with really defined cores - even London and Paris have all their massive new buildings in just a few places.  But here they are just everywhere.  According to Wikipedia it's the world's 22nd largest city with a population of over 8 million.  That's impressive!
  • I discovered a VERY TASTY stall at the Chatuchak market selling roast pork.  He just chops it up with a massive butcher knife (it's cooked, of course), adds some sweet and spicy sauce, and that's it.  I can't wait for some more tomorrow!  The food here is amazing - but I don't know what it is and I don't know how to order!  So I just wander around, try this and that hoping for the best (or at least not the worst) and see what happens!
  • My bookclub is reading George Orwell's 1984.  It's quite interesting.....and rather relevant to today, I think. I highly recommend it - it will make you think, that's for sure!  Maybe families should read it and discuss its relevance to today!  Get to work!  :-)
I think that's it.  Tomorrow I'm going back to Chatuchak Market.  I didn't take any money today - I didn't want to be an impulse buyer!  There are a few things I saw that I am still thinking about - that's my test.  It's only on the weekends, so I have to go tomorrow or wait for a week.   It's such a maze that I'm afraid if I wait for a week I'll forget where to find things!  So I'll pick up a few things, and then probably wander around a little more once I've accomplished my goals.  (See, even on holiday goals sometimes slip in - how sad!)  :-)  

No comments: