Monday 27 October 2008

Wat Phra Kaeo at the Grand Palace - part I

This is the first of four sets of pictures mainly from Wat Phra Kaeo - that the temple complex right next to the Grand Palace.  I have a few photos of the Grand Palace, but most of that area was closed because they are coming up a significant date marking the anniversary of the king's sister....so something was going on over there!

Anyway the sun came and went during my visit - hopefully most of these are going to be OK.  It's an amazing place - the colors, architectural styles, decoration, etc are really too much!  Totally cool, and really really interesting.  Here are some of my favorites:











I like this one because the sun is glinting off some of the little gold spangly things - so I'm getting those star-like effects here and there like I have some sort of fancy camera.  That was cool!




The next few are of the Grand Palace.  The major building (the edge can be seen on the right below) is basically a European-style place with a very Thai-style roof line.  The older parts (and smaller now, and on the left of the photo, are much more Thai-style....at least with my absolute ignorance of what makes something Thai-style, that's what it looks like!)  :-)




Enjoy the 4 sets of photos!

Tomorrow I'm off to Ayutthaya - the ancient capital of the Thai kingdom.  It was the capital for about 400 years.  Then it was sacked by the Burmese, and the general who restored order and founded the new royal line moved the capital here, to the Bangkok area.  If it isn't pouring, I'm going by train to explore around.  Of course, a massive monsoon just blew through, so who knows what tomorrow will bring!  

1 comment:

Aimee Oliver said...

What amazing buildings!!! Is there much of a difference in the architecture in Thailand vs. say Japan or China? or is it very subtle?
It sounds like you are having a good time! Don't get washed away in the monsoon!

Aimee