Monday 27 October 2008

Some Miscellaneous Shots from around Bangkok

A few days ago I went to the Golden Mount.  It's a man-made hill in the middle of Bangkok topped with a golden chedi (or stupa).  Here are a few shots from the grounds and the top.



You can see how big the chedi is here.



This is the Rama VII bridge - I think it's similar to what the new eastern span of the Bay Bridge (Oakland side) will look like.  Maybe?  Of course, I think the one in CA won't have a golden flame on the top!


It's strange to see completely modern high-rise apartments, hotels and shops along the river and then you come across something much more pre-modern.  (Above photo, too....)



That's it.  Oh - one interesting thing I just read.  I guess most, or maybe all Thai guys do the monk thing for a few months at some point in their lives.  That way their parents have some concentrated prayers for that period.  Sort of interesting.  I guess a little like a mission, but focused just on your dead family members?  Anyway, I heard it from someone here and then read it in my guide book.  Doesn't make it true, but maybe it is!

No comments: